Today is a bit different on the blog. Many of you asked for my favourite vegetarian meals and this is one you will often see me prepare on my Instagram. I took my aunt’s recipe that I have been using for years and turned it vegan hence making it healthier as well. There are 3 steps to this process but do not despair it’s easy peasy lemon squeezy.
The reason I love this dish so much is that it has a unique flavour that is absolutely delicious. Packed with vitamins and simple to prepare. With the addition of almond milk, it sure does have a healthier nutritional value. The preparation time is longer than 35 minutes. This is a hit with everyone in the family, including the kids and I am thrilled to share it with you as I devour it in my kitchen.
You will need:
85g Red lentil pasta(Happy Earth People), you may use any pasta
200ml Almond breeze Unsweetened milk
A tablespoon of white flour
A pinch of salt
A pinch of pepper
A tablespoon of margarine, if you are not vegan butter will be fine
A tablespoon of Nutritional yeast
A quarter of an Imana Garlic & Herb stock cube (optional)
2 tomatoes finely chopped
A quarter of an onion finely chopped
A cup of frozen mixed vegetable(cube sized)
A teaspoon coconut oil or margarine/butter
A teaspoon of masala(chilli powder)
Half a teaspoon of turmeric powder
A pinch of salt and pepper
- Bring pasta to boil with a pinch of salt in a medium/small sized pot for 8 minutes until cooked.
- Steam mixed vegetable separately until half cooked.
- Whilst those are being cooked, finely chop tomatoes and onions.
- Once the mixed vegetable is half cooked, add to another pan/small pot with coconut oil and onion, let onions simmer.
- Add masala and turmeric to vegetables and stir, then add chopped tomatoes and stir.
- Let chutney braise until cooked and not much water is left.
- Check on pasta, if cooked, remove water and leave to stand off heat.
- Now we start the vegan white sauce, mix flour and almond milk in a cup until there are no lumps.
- Melt butter in another saucepan/pot. Add flour and milk mix to melted butter.
- Add salt, pepper, nutritional yeast and stir.
- You may add the Imana stock(optional), keep stirring until sauce thickens a bit.
- Remove white sauce from heat and it will thicken on standing.
- Plate pasta, add chutney over then top with white sauce.
- You can grate vegan cheese(any cheese if you are vegetarian) over and bake until cheese is melted.
I topped mine with some chilli flakes and almost ate all of it in one go.
This makes 2 full servings or 4 side servings. Since I am only cooking for one, it became one huge serving I am continuously eating throughout the day. It’s just that good! I don’t feel guilty as red lentil pasta is high protein, rich in fiber and carbohydrates. The plant protein found in legumes provide the body with stead long-lasting energy. It is also gluten and GMO-free. Of course, I had to take a bite before taking this picture!
Do comment and let me know if you try this recipe or if you would like to see more vegetable recipes on my blog.
Also, share your recipes with #AlmondBreezeSAPurtassi on social media and you could win great prizes!
I hope those fasting have a great breaking fast tomorrow and a Happy Diwali on Thursday.
Miss Dhanusha xx